Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Frogeye Underwater Camera

I have received several emails about the underwater shot of Sun-Ling snorkeling in Bali.

Jay wrote:
Anyway, I remember your Canon underwater camera (or was that
S----'s?), and I thought you'd probably have an underwater digital camera or an underwater housing (I've seen a few of those). But a Lomo Frogeye? I've seen Lomo cameras the past few years and thought they were pretty neat, but for me they came a bit too late--since getting a digital camera I don't think I've been able to finish a roll of film in another camera. My three Canon SLRs (well, my prized Canon T90 died a month or two before I got my Nikon Coolpix), two Olympus XAs, Minolta Panoramic, and Yashica T5 all sit gathering dust. :-/

Your photos looked neat. Did you just get a photo CD back with the processed photos or....?

Do you have any other Lomo cameras? People seem to collect them.


Sun-Ling's cousin here in Shanghai is quite the amateur photographer. He shoots slide film, has it developed and then scanned. He never has slides mounted, just keeps the positives - 4 to a strip.

The cousin does not speak much English, so I'm not exactly sure what happened when he offered to get my Bali slide film developed and scanned... because...it took like 2 months to get the positives and digital images back. Some images were scanned backwards, maybe all of them, hard to tell. Some were 2MB scans. Some were 600K. So I just don't know. I thought he took his stuff to a regular retail place but maybe he has friends with connections.....I did not get a CD. He transferred them from his hard disk to our memory stick.

Anyway the shots came out OK even though I hate the fact that the Frogeye flash cannot be "turned off" as far as I can tell.

I have just the one Lomo. Maybe I'll shoot some more slide film with the Frogeye over the New Year holiday and get it developed and scanned myself.

After borrowing S----'s Canon underwater camera, we bought our own, a different model, the Canon Sure Shot A1 Underwater. It worked will for about 4 years until it developed a leak. It was a neat camera. Panorama. Flash control. Decent Auto settings. Good for over and under water.

Click here for more info on the Lomo Frogeye.

Here it is.... among the skyscrapers of Shanghai....My Frogeye!!!Frogeye

2 comments:

Crash Eddy said...

It would be helpful for you to provide a link to Lomo's Frogeye site, http://shop.lomography.com/frogeye/
in your post. You know the HTML for this? I'll send you email with the HTML and you can copy&paste it.

jaydro said...

Looking back at this, I just realized--did you ever take any more Lomo photos???