Saturday, February 17, 2007

CNY vs Xmas

We are staying in Shanghai for CNY (Chinese New Year) after all. It seems totally not our style -- not traveling over a long holiday and experiencing something a 2nd time rather than seeking out new experiences.

Most of the expats have headed out of town/country. Most of the ladies in my bookgroup look upon CNY with disdain. It took me a while to recognize that it's similar to the disdain that my parents held for Christmas when they first came to the Stats. My dad, who is a bigger atheist than I, refused to acknowledge Christmas because of its religious origin. I now know it's cultural. It never fails to amaze me how people are so ingrained by their cultural backgrounds.

Because of John, I started to experience Christmas. Over the years John and I have developed our own traditions and rituals. Now he is experiencing CNY with me. Our cross cultural marriage certainly seems to have more benefits to reap than difficulties to overcome. Now the two of us have been together for so long that we find our own happiness and joy whenever and wherever we are around the world.

I have very fond memories for CNY. CNY used to be a major production and truly a highlight of each year, considering I grew up in China during the much botched state planned economy. Stocking up on goodies (nianhuo) started a month before the new year as extra rations were allotted including cooking oil, sugar, tofu, and meat. Foods that were absent during the year would make their rare appearance. It's like you can only find eggnog during the Xmas season.

We always got new clothes (usually made by a tailor or my grandmother) for the New Year. Cloth and cotton padding (for blankets and quilted clothing) were also rationed.

We received extra spending money (red packets) which I usually blew on fireworks in one day. During the first few days of the new year there was lots of visiting with relatives which meant free flow of sweets for us kids and catching up with cousins.

While the traditions of fireworks and visiting flourish, the food situation has changed the dramatically. The variety and availability of food here year round makes the States pale in comparison. Thus the formerly New Year's treats are not that special. John & I each gained ten pounds over last CNY. It does not look like I have learned my lessons this year :(.

No comments: