Friday, February 23, 2007

Delivery

Getting goods delivered in Shanghai is super easy and inexpensive (or free). I think it has to do with cheap labor, population concentration, and family cars are just beginning to become popular.

A lot of the times delivery is free. It goes without saying, we get our 5-gallon water bottle for the water cooler delivered free. Among the more reasonably priced and accessible beers, John likes Carlsberg best. We get them delivered by the 12-bottle case in the 20 oz size. Our fruit vendor delivers with a phone call though they are only 150 meters away. I order on the web from our grocer (Lianhua, a huge chain). Delivery is free for 20 RMB purchases, 2 RMB otherwise.

I do quite a bit of my purchases online. Next day delivery is 5-6 RMB for the 1st kilogram 100 kilometers around Shanghai, including pickup and dropoff. Now, whenever I need to get something to a friend or relative, I use the courier service too.

The only problem with delivery is that you have to be there to receive and sign. For small things, I have them delivered to my office. In the lobby of our apartment building, there is an Ayi from 8am to 8pm. The Ayi is kind enough to sign for us. The other day we picked up a small piece of furniture when cruising the street. It got delivered and was waiting for us with the Ayi in the lobby before we even got home.

No comments: