Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Narrow Escape

Last week I attended an Intel offsite at the Shanghai International Bowling Resort. This offsite was a combination of aligning goals for 2007 and team building. As offsites go it was actually pretty good and we got a lot of "goaling" accomplished from 8:30 to 3:30.

Then it was time for team building. As some of you know, I have managed to avoid bowling for my entire life up to this point. I want to have "He never bowled" inscribed on my tombstone. So this was going to be tricky.

My team has gotten used to fact that I'm a vegetarian. That wacky American. But no bowling? Luckily the Shanghai International Bowling Resort has a badminton court next to the 5-lane alley and I was able to convince a co-worker to bring his spare battledore (that's the official translation of badminton racket into English from Chinese) and I spent a whole hour playing badminton with the guys and gals I work with.

The streak continues!

Boy was my arm sore the next day.

Do vegans play badminton?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's funny that i read this blog just a few hours before going to the company team building and bowling turnament. shanghai & raleigh, we have the same idea on "team building". i bowled only 3 games my entire 38 years of life, with 2 of them just last week. -- terrible scores. as a captain of my team, i name my team "the gutter toads":) i'm interested to know/guess why john wants "he never bowled" streak going...
--weiqing